Monday, February 2, 2009

Wrapped Up In Books

Words are my favorite. If I wasn't so damn practical, I probably would've pursued a literature degree. I know I can write... it's just the brilliant idea hasn't manifested itself in my imagination yet. I have plenty of concepts for what I want my debut novel to be about, but it's going to take some time before it's exactly right. So while I continue to work on that life goal, I figure I might as well enjoy immersing myself in other peoples' brilliant ideas.

Maybe it's Stephenie Meyer's Twilight series that put me in this mood. Please reserve your guffaw for later... because I acknowledge that she's not the best writer, but she's a fantastic storyteller and the queen of beloved archetypes. And after finishing all four books in the course of two amazing weeks (I had to pace myself), I've again remembered why its so important to keep the imagination running.

Reading for pleasure keeps me sane... moreso than movies or television.. and almost as much as a good piece of music. Having said that, I don't think it's too lofty of a goal to read at least one new book each month for the rest of the year. And if I can squeeze in even more, then that's wonderful.

So I've compiled a list of books I would like to read before the end of the year. Of course, this is the basic list... because I come across new books I want to read all the time. But at least I have some I can start with:

Fiction
The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson
Dance Dance Dance by Haruki Murakami
The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath
Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen
When I Was Five I Killed Myself by Howard Buten
Learning to Love You More by Miranda July
Naive. Super by Erlend Loe

Non-Fiction
Dreams From My Father by Barack Obama
Downtown Owl by Chuck Klosterman
The Practice of Everyday Life by Michel de Certeau

Books to finish
Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand (last 50-something pages... but maybe I should start over... oh geez)

Books I want to re-read
Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen
1984 by George Orwell (I just can't get enough)

Lists make things more official. Here goes nothing...

No comments: