Tuesday, September 2, 2008

The phonograph that plays your favorite albums back.

I'll miss the days like this, when I'm miles away in winter winds, and your gentle voice echoes in my brain. I'll think about the time we sat hand-in-hand in the Cadillac while we watched the sun rising out of night.

You help me sink to sleep when you sing to me inside my dreams, a guitar in-hand and the tapping of your feet. I'll take the glasses off your head while you lay back in bed, and our nerves will shake from falling in so deep.

I'll be the one who waits outside for you while you drive into the street where we say our last goodnight. And when I'm gone from here, I'll remember dancing in the air and laughing as we crawled under the sheets.

Everything will change.

The summer is fleeting, and the closer I get to saying goodbye, the more important it becomes to make every passing moment count. Maybe I just wasn't paying enough attention before. Maybe expressions of love have become matters of urgency. Either way, this last weekend has got me speaking in diary lyrics and archiving mental pictures like priceless works of art.

There are some people in my life that I may just love too much. It's not a bad thing. It's overwhelming sometimes, but I'm deadly addicted to it. I want to remember everything... the prolonged hugs and the need for excess, and the way conversations keep seeming to turn heavy, as if to make up in advance for those I'll miss in the next year.

Everything will change

I want to hear you say you'll take me where you go, even if I'm gone. We'll make a new escape, I'll hold you from behind, we'll leap into a cloud.
These days will keep me near, in photographs of life where we held each other tight.




I want to take you far from the cynics in this town, and kiss you on the mouth. We'll cut our bodies free from the tethers of this scene, start a brand new colony...
Where everything will change. We'll give ourselves new names... identities erased.
The sun will hear the grounds under our bare feet in this brand new colony.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

beautiful. i loved reading that. everything will change, but you have such exciting adventures ahead of you and of all people, you truly deserve them.