Wednesday, August 6, 2008

The sunlight in my universe

Some things never change, no matter how much time passes or how twisted-up outside circumstances get. It's been almost a week since I've gotten back from Asia, and although it took me a few days to recover from the severe jet lag, mosquito bites and horrid chest cold, things have pretty much gone back to normal.

Having been away from some of my favorite people for the last month has really renewed strong feelings of pride and love for what I've got here. I always knew that I had extraordinary friends... but it's never until I'm separated from them and then reunited, that I remember how great it feels to laugh and to be a part of something so real.

Even though some human drama is inevitable when you have such a large circle, where many people tend to come and go, there always seems to be an unfaltering foundation that holds up the bonds between genuine friends. Despite the petty arguments and bruised egos of past conflicts, it eventually comes around full-circle to where it all started - a relationship based on sincere caring.

Relationships like that are what make the mundane things, like going out for sushi or having the last cigarette of the night, that much more memorable. When it's that STUFF... the little things... that you can always comfortably share with your friends, you'll never run short of memories.

And in me particularly, it creates an encouraging sense of confidence that even if I leave home for a year, I'll have something grand to come back home to. It's been a very happy week. I've experienced nothing but an outpour of love and support from the people I hold most dear. They welcomed me back home as soon as I set foot into the country, they told me they missed me, and they told me they would miss me even more when I leave next month. And some, whom I've had some serious ups and downs with in the past, became the most adamant in sharing experiences with me.

It's a really amazing feeling to be loved... in all aspects of the word. And I consider myself extremely lucky for all the great people in my life (despite their flaws and little idiosyncrasies). Because I probably wouldn't be me without them, and I'm not sure I'd have the courage to strive for greatness without their support.

They say that old habits die hard... and in this case, I'm really glad they do.

No comments: