Monday, January 28, 2008

Lover In The Snow

It's hard to know where to begin when trying to describe recent events of the last week or so.

Two Thursdays ago, I was driving up to Big Bear with my friends for the weekend. That was an outrageous blur of fun. (Hence the use of my own video in lieu of an actual Rivers Cuomo video for "Lover In The Snow.")



And then we came back and I was sick for practically the whole week... while sad things happened to people I did and didn't know (RIP Devin M. and Heath Ledger). It rained a whole lot... actually, it's still raining. The sadness is just emanating from everywhere.

But despite all these up and down feelings - this weekend felt like something completely new. The last few days have been pretty great for me, partially because I've been editing the Big Bear videos... but also because it's been a weekend of birthday celebrations and good news.

Brandon got a job at United Airlines. I get to go watch presidential candidates debate each other LIVE this week.

And ready? Here's the crazy part...

The old band MAY be getting together soon to record some old songs- according to a short but sweet conversation I had earlier. Wasn't I just reminiscing about this in my last post? While I don't plan on getting my hopes up too high, I'm still gonna' allow myself to feel good about this potentiality. After all, Feb. 5, 2008 is coming up... 1 year and 3 months exactly from the date the last major life-changing thing happened to me.

For those of you who have no idea what I'm talking about, 1 year and 3 months is the amount of time I've determined to be my "personal cycle of life changing events." It's been a weird pattern that I've observed.

Anyway... why NOT feel good about recording the songs.. right? I was watching a documentary on John Lennon earlier and there was this part where he was being interviewed by some guy who asked if the Beatles were ever gonna' get back together. And he said "I can't really say. If we do, I'll be happy. The memories are fond and the wounds are healed." But he said that he wouldn't make the first move.

And then he was killed.

And in light of the too-close-for-comfort feelings about death I've had in the last few days, it just seems petty and stupid to let some old wounds get in the way of something beautiful. So when O. came up and gave me a hug hello earlier, I found myself blurting out to him that "hey..I wanted to call you.. but I didn't. What do you think about maybe getting together and recording some songs for old time's sake?" And he said he'd been thinking about the same thing too lately. And that made me happy.

I have a really, really good feeling about this year. I hope I'm right.

No comments: